World Digestive Health Day 2020 | WDHD 2020 Theme, Logo, Poster World Gastroenterology Organisation:
Every 29th May, we are celebrating theWorld Digestive Health Day (WDHD).
World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO), in collaboration with the WGO Foundation (WGOF), celebrates World Digestive Health Day (WDHD) and initiates a yearlong, worldwide, public health campaign through more than 110 WGO Member Societies which reach over 50,000 individuals worldwide, WGO Training Centers, Regional Affiliate Associations and other WGO global partners. Each year focuses upon a particular digestive disease and/or disorder in order to increase general public awareness of prevention, prevalence, diagnosis, management and treatment of the disease and/or disorder.
Due to the wonderful initiative of the WGO Secretary General, Professor Henry Cohen, we are commemorating the 45th Anniversary of the creation of the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO) on May 29th, 1958. From now on, the date of May 29th will be known as the “World Digestive Health Day.”
Judging from the fact that each issue of “World Gastroenterology News” consists of almost 50,000 copies, we can surmise that there are today at least as many gastroenterologists around the world who will celebrate with us the World Digestive Health Day!
On the 29th of May 1958, the last day of the First World Congress of Gastroenterology which took place in Washington, an assembly of distinguished gastroenterologists announced the foundation of the WGO was born!
“The purpose of WGO is
- To contribute on a global scale to the study and progress of gastroenterology,
- To maintain active contact with all organizations interested in Gastroenterology and allied fields.
- To encourage and support co-operative research, particularly in relation to the epidemiologic study if gastrointestinal diseases.
- To tabulate and file existing areas of graduate training in Gastroenterology and
- To consider the study of future plans for the development of graduate education in gastroenterology.
- To solicit and receive donations for the purpose of study, scientific research and investigation.
- To make arrangements for the holding of a World Congress of Gastroenterology and to advise and assist those responsible for organizing it.”
The Statutes have been modified many times since the approval of the first ones in 1963, but the aims of WGO., as stated there, remain essentially the same, and I believe that we can proudly look back at what has been achieved in the fields of international research, education, training, ethics, and the practice of gastroenterology as well in encouraging and helping in the creation of new Continental Associations.
Thanks to the wonderful initiative of the WGO. Secretary General, Professor Henry Cohen, from now on, the date of May 29th will be known as the World Digestive Health Day.
Judging from the fact that each issue of “World Gastroenterology News” consists of almost 50,000 copies, we can surmise that there are today at least as many gastroenterologists around the World who will celebrate with us World Digestive Health Day!
The WGO celebrates World Digestive Health Day (WDHD) every May 29, initiating a worldwide public health campaign through its national societies and 50,000 individual members. Each year, WDHD focuses upon a particular digestive disorder and seeks to increase general public awareness of prevention and therapy. WDHD themes have included:
- 2005: Health and Nutrition
- 2006: Helicobacter pylori infection
- 2007: Viral Hepatitis
- 2008: Optimal Nutrition in Health and Disease
- 2009: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- 2010: Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- 2011: Enteric Infections: Prevention and Management – Clean Food, Clean Water, Clean Environment WDHD 2011
- 2012: From Heartburn to Constipation – Common GI Symptoms in the Community: Impact and Interpretation WDHD 2012
- 2013: LIVER CANCER: Act Today. Save Your Life Tomorrow. Awareness. Prevention. Detection. Treatment WDHD 2013
- 2014: Gut Microbes – Importance in Health and Disease WDHD 2014
- 2015: Heartburn: a Global Perspective WDHD 2015
- 2016: Diet and gut Health WDHD 2016